The Search Process - Tips and Steps
Need apartment help? We got you.
Get walk-in apartment search or tenant’s rights support during the following hours:
Mondays and Thursdays
Or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange another time to connect with a member of our team.
Before starting your search, we advise you to consider the followings steps:
- Identify potential roommates (review our Off-Campus Listing Page here).
- Determine expectations, responsibilities, and preferences.
- Identify your ideal neighborhood or region. The following resources can be helpful in identifying your new neighborhood.
- A Guide to Chicago Neighborhoods: www.choosechicago.com/neighborhoods/
- Neighborhood Scout Crime Statistics Based on Region: https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/il/chicago/crime
- Establish your “non-negotiables” – what does your future home need to have?
- Develop a “walk through” checklist for your apartment search.
- Inspect the unit or any signs of rodent or insect infestation (i.e. chew marks or droppings).
- Bring a phone charger to test available outlets.
- Check doors/windows for possible drafts or gaps.
- Test water pressure in the unit by briefly running the water in the kitchen and bathroom.
- Confirm that apartment appliances are functional (i.e. microwave, stove, dishwasher, refrigerator, etc.)
- Visit commuter.uic.edu for more tips and resources.
- Obtain any changes to your lease in writing. Connect with UIC Student Legal Services (SLS) for support.
- Secure renter’s insurance.
- Research utility options.
- Gas, electric, cable, internet, etc.
- Activate your utilities.
- Review the Residential Landlord Tenant Ordinance (RLTO)
- Introduce yourself to your neighbors and exchange preferred contacts.
- Notify your neighbors if you plan to host a gathering.
- Provide an anticipated start time and end time.
- Offer a direct contact for neighbors to connect with you directly should they experience an issue (i.e. noise or trash from guests).
- For further guidance on how to be a Good Neighbor, visit: http://dos.uic.edu/goodneighbor.shtml